Identity/Credit Protection

You may place, temporarily lift or remove a security freeze on your credit file under state law or the voluntary security freeze programs offered by all three of the credit reporting agencies. 

A security freeze is designed to prevent the information in your credit file from being reported to others, such as credit grantors and other companies, except those exempted by law or those for whom you contacted us and requested that we temporarily lift the security freeze or those that access during a period of time when you requested we temporarily lift the security freeze. 

Free Annual Credit Report

The Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) requires each of the nationwide consumer reporting companies — Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion — to provide you with a free copy of your credit report, at your request, once every 12 months. The FCRA promotes the accuracy and privacy of information in the files of the nation’s consumer reporting companies. The Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the nation’s consumer protection agency, enforces the FCRA with respect to consumer reporting companies.

Get your free annual credit report here:

Credit Freeze for Deceased Relatives

It is possible to request a credit freeze for deceased relatives. While the specific requirements vary slightly depending on the agency you are working with, you will general need:
  1. Documentation proving that you have Power of Attorney
  2. Death Certificate
  3. Copy of your Social Security Card as the person requesting the credit freeze.
Credit Freeze Information per Agency

Private Credit Protection Services

These are a few private organization that provide comprehensive credit protection services. The APU IMT Security Office does not officially endorse or recommend these solutions and provides these references only as guidance to the types of private offerings available.